Wednesday 20 July 2011

Put the Lime in the Coconut!

Oh me oh my! Between October 2009 and June 2010 I was spoiled rotten lucky to be able  to enjoy three tropical vacations. No joke! I went to Jamaica with my Dad and two of my sisters [your wedding was in the PERFECT location Val!] to the Bahamas with my little sister for her high school graduation trip [T you're a great traveling companion!] and then to Cancun, Mexico with my awesome hubby for our fifth anniversary [would you believe this one was my favorite of the three?] During my travels to all these amazing locations, my deep love of all things coconut grew into an obsession, and it became apparent that variations are endless.

Enter last night: I read a couple of blogs referring to coconut and pineapple in breads and muffins. Yum! But, seeing as I didn't have any pineapple on hand [I ate the last few pieces Monday night, so I really can't blame anyone but myself for the predicament] I decided to branch out, get creative, and look to my favorite mocktails for inspiration. In the case of lime and coconut, I can only say that they are meant for one another. This recipe has a hint of sweetness, loads of flavor, and surprise, surprise, it's chockfull of goodness for your body to enjoy too! These beautiful muffins have loads of protein, are gluten, lactose, and sugar free [coconut sugar is simply coconut]. Enjoy!


My Favorite Mocktail Muffins
by me!
Makes 1 dozen muffins


1/3 cup coconut flour
2/3 cup soy flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup toasted shredded unsweetened coconut
3 egg whites
2/3 cup + 1 tsp Greek yogurt
1 tbsp lime zest (about two limes)
1 tbsp fruit of lime (about ¾ of a lime)
Juice of ½ a lime
¼ cup almond milk
1 tsp coconut extract
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line with muffin paper liners.
When oven is preheated, put the 1/3 cup of shredded coconut in a rimmed baking pan, and pop into the oven on the top rack for about three minutes. Don't forget about the coconut! It is perfect when toasted, but not so tasty when burnt!

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, the sugar, and the toasted coconut. In another bowl, whisk the Greek yogurt, egg whites, vanilla extract, coconut extract,lime zest, lime juice, lime fruit, and almond milk together until smooth. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and stir with a spoon until just combined, do not over mix.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup to about 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle raw shredded coconut over the muffin batter.

Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. my question now is.....where do you get all of that weird stuff?!? haha it sounds delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)