Monday 3 October 2011

Scrumptious

What do you think of when you picture tomatoes? Is it a salad? A plant? The sauce on your favorite pizza? [or all of the above] I love tomatoes and will often add them to recipes that don't call for them simply for their fresh flavor and burst of color. We all know that food is not only savored in the mouth, but also in presentation so try to add color however you can! And so there I was, standing in front of the fridge, quinoa cooking on the stove, and wondering what to pair with my tomatoes and quinoa. What resulted is a salad that I've made a few times now, each time having been met with delight from all that savored the experience. Try it, love it, and relish the thought that it not only looks and tastes wonderful, but is wonderfully healthy too!



Basil Tomato Quinoa Salad

2 cups quinoa, cooked and cooled
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup basil, chopped
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2/3 cup diced red onion
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
dash of maple syrup
dash of coarse sea salt

Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl and serve. It really is that simple!

This salad is a great post workout meal, main dish, or potluck addition. Don't be afraid to tinker with the measurements in this salad, and make it your own. Oh, I'd also try this out with whatever your favorite bean is...the possibilities are endless!

3 comments:

  1. I've made this so many times! I just shared it on my blog and realized that I never came to tell you how much we love it! D: We. Love. This. Salad. Thanks! Here's the post if you want to take a peek: http://bakeoff-flunkie.blogspot.com/2014/10/basil-tomato-quinoa-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love it Tiffiny!! It is still one of my favs :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)