Monday 10 October 2011

Perfect Pumpkin Pie

Yes, I have THE perfect pumpkin pie recipe to share with you today. First though, in honor of Thanksgiving [which is today here in Canada] here are a few of the things I am grateful for [in no particular order]:



I am thankful for Darius and his smiling face that greets me each morning


I am thankful for my sweet cheeks Eli - you brighten each day little man!





I am thankful for brothers who love each other - and a stroller that lets me fit running into my busy Mama life!


I am thankful for my amazing husband who not only helps around the house, but is an exceptional father to our little munchins


I am thankful for my house! We move in tomorrow, and I am soooo excited!


I am thankful for my best friend, companion, and partner - I love you Amesome, Amazing Hubby of Mine!

My life is full of goodness, from the people I am surrounded by, to the food in my belly haha. I love you my sweet family - thank you for enriching my life with your presence!


The good food in my belly is all vegan, all delicious, and so wonderfully amazing that I need to share! I've never made a pumpkin pie before. Pumpkin cheesecake yes, but pie no. So, I was a little nervous about making one, but that didn't hold me back from trying! I also wanted to make it gluten free so that my Dad's partner could enjoy some too [she was wonderful and made the orginal recipe pumpkin and apple pies for all those with unrestricted eating habits.] So, here are my pie crust, and filling that wow'ed the crowd! I hope you enjoy fabulous results with this recipe - I know I'll be making it again for my Awesome Husband who is a pumpkin pie lover!

 

Perfectly Pumpkin Pie


Crust


2 cups gluten free "Biscuits and Baking" Bob's Red Mill mix

1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest

2/3 cup vegan margarine, cold

1/4 cup ice water

1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice, cold

Mix together the flour, salt and lemon zest. Cut in the margarine until mixture has a crumbly texture. In a separate bowl, combine the ice water and lemon juice. Slowly add to the dry ingredients, mixing gently, just until a dough is formed. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Once chilled, place dough on counter between two sheets of plastic wrap, and roll out to 1/4" thick circle which is bigger than your pie plate. Transfer to pie plate, press in [don't worry if your dough breaks, just fill in the gap with some dough and smooth it together] and pinchall the way around the top rim of the pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for an hour.
Preheat the oven to 400F, remove the pie crust from the fridge and place lightly buttered [I used the same vegan margarine as I did in the dough recipe] and place gently in the bottom of the pie. Place DRY beans on the foil [ this will prevent your crust form puffing up as it bakes] and bake for 15 minutes. Then, remove the foil and and beans from the pie crust and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
 
While your pie crust is cooling on a wire rack, whip up this delcious filling!
 
Pie Filling
 
15 oz pumpkin puree [I used canned]
1 cup almond milk
3/4 cup berry sugar [meaning extra fine sugar]
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 vanilla bean, split and scrapped
 
Combine all of the above ingredients in a bowl and mix well, about 3-4 minutes. Once combined, pour into prepared crust and bake at 425F for 15 minutes, the reduce the oven tempreture to 350F and bake for another 40 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool. If you are not enjoying the right away, let it cool completed before placing in the fridge.
 
Happy Thanksgiving!
 
What are your Thanksgiving traditions? Is there a dish you can't live without? A trip you always take as a family? We try to incorporate some sort of activity into the day - you know, to combat the food como that can ensure when faced with a table full of miraculous food!
 

3 comments:

  1. I am VERY excited to try this for Thanksgiving down here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously it is DELICIOUS! All who tried it loved it - even the non-vegans! I topped it with whipped coconut cream, which gave it a special something something - let me know if you need the info on how to make whipped coconut cream and I'll send it your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know how to make whipped coconut cream please!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)