Wednesday 12 October 2011

Vanilla Pear Jam

Back in March I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Cher Stuff, when she presented a jam that she had made the previous day. My mouth watered as I read the name of the jam, then continued as I read the recipe. Do you have that? Where you can read a recipe and actually taste it? I do, and it comes in handy when looking for a new recipe to add to the rotation. Anyways, this jam had me dreaming of pear season, and when it hit I was ready to whip it up!

Full disclosure: I have never made jam before. This was my inaugural attempt, I was nervous, and I pulled it off all on my own. If I can do it, so can you!


Vanilla Pear Jam

From Cher Stuff with one ingredient switch up


8 cups chopped pears (no need to peel)
2 vanilla beans, split and scraped
1 1/2 cups naturally creamed organic honey
1 package pectin crystals

In a large, heavy pot combine chopped pears, sugar and vanilla beans. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the sugar melts and the fruit can be easily mashed with the back of a wooden spoon. Remove the vanilla bean pods and use an immersion blender to make a fairly smooth sauce.

Stir in the pectin and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Boil for five minutes. Remove from heat.

Fill hot, sterilized jars. Wipe rims to be sure they are clean. Apply lids (that have been simmering in water while you are cooking your jam) and screw on rims. Process jars in a hot water canner for 10 minutes (that is boil for 10 minutes). Remove jars from canner and place on a towel -lined counter to cool. When they are completely cool (after a couple of hours), the lids should be sealed. You can check the seal by pushing down on the center of the lid - if it is sealed it will be slightly concave and solid feeling.

Makes 8 half-pint (or 250 ml) jars.

I made three batches of this delicious jam, and am saving the precious 24 jars for our handcrafted Christmas we're doing this year. I am so excited for our handcrafted Christmas! Just wait until you see all the projects on the go!!

2 comments:

  1. Katie-This jam sounds wonderful!! I'm posting before I make this tomorrow to let you know I'll be making 2 batches of this jam. One batch exactly as written and the other with some fresh ginger added. I'll let you know how they come out.
    Thanks for sharing :o)
    Priscilla R.
    In Nevada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds sooo good Priscilla! I can't wait to hear how the ginger addition turns out - I'm sure it will be just lovely!
      Best of luck in the kitchen tomorrow!
      Katie

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)