Wednesday 11 January 2012

spill the beans


I love chocolate. Are you surprised? When I spotted this recipe on a wonderful friend’s blog, I stopped for a moment and contemplated the fact that I had all the ingredients on hand to make these brownies my way [meaning, modifying some ingredients to suit my dietary preferences.] The only problem for me was that making them would mean I'd eat them...and if I was the only one home, I'd most likely eat more than I need to. So it took me a few days to whip up a batch haha! These brownies are moist, rich, and every bit as wonderful as I thought they would be. I do not have a picture for you [feel free to check out Cheri's blog, where she did indeed snap a photo] simply because I needed to get these babies portioned off and away from me before I ate the entire pan while making supper. These were a little too rich for my sweet little man, but that’s okay with me...it means more for me haha!


Blackbean Brownies

(from Spilling the Beans, found on cher stuff, and modified to be egg and dairy free by me)


1 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans

1 1/4 cups broken pecan pieces

1/2 cup vegan margarine, like earth balance

2 oz unsweetened chocolate

1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking and Biscuit All Purpose Baking Mix

1/4 tsp sea salt

2 tbsp freshly milled flax, added to 1/4 cup cool water

1/2 cup naturally creamed honey

1 tsp vanilla

3/4 cup good quality dark chocolate chips



Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Spread the rinsed and drained beans out on a double layer of paper towel and blot gently with more paper towel to remove as much moisture as possible.* very important step

After milling the flaxseed, add it to the cool water in a cup, and set aside so it can form a gel. This is your egg substitute, and the binding ingredient for the recipe.

Melt the chocolate and margarine together in the micro-wave being careful to stir frequently so as not to burn the chocolate. Remove and let cool slightly. In a separate bowl whisk together the salt and flour, then set aside.

Place the dried-off beans and the margarine/chocolate mixture in a food processor and process until very smooth, scarping the walls of the bowl a couple of times. Add the flax gel, honey, and vanilla - process again. Scrape the mixture into the dry ingredients and gently fold together. Add the pecans and chocolate bits and combine.

Scrape the batter into a greased 8x8" pan and smooth the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the batter doesn't jiggle when the pan moves - a toothpick inserted would come out very chocolaty. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting, so that the brownie can set completely.

Once cooled, store at room temperature for softer brownies, in the fridge for firmer brownies, or in the freezer if you lack will power and want to eat the whole pan. We all know where mine are haha!

What is your sweet weakness? Or are you like my Awesome Hubby and go for the salt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)