Wednesday 28 November 2012

Saying 'thank you' with cookies

...is something I like to do. Nothing says 'thank you' like taking the time out of your busy day to bake up some pure loving goodness for someone! The best part of these cookies is they're not all that 'bad' for you, in that the only refined ingredient comes in the form of chocolate. But really, I think that's something most people look past when it comes to chocolate. On Sunday morning I was up before the boys [gasp! It does happen on occasion] and decided to get the day started with some baking. So cookies were whipped up for a special family whom is more giving that most, and deserves the world in return but will have to settle for cookies as I don't know how to give the world yet so I wanted to do something to say 'thank you for being awesome!' I took out my Mom's perfect cookie recipe, looked over the ingredients and figured out what could be substituted to make them less aggravating to a sugar sensitive tummy. The boys determined these cookies were good enough to eat all of them in one sitting [Darius tried to convince me to give the family one cookie to share. Um, not happening dude!] and my Hottie Husband tried to convince me that they were no good and he should just take them to work and 'dispose of them.' So, if you want cookies that are amazing enough to turn your generous four year old, and giving husband, into a Scrooge this is your recipe! Ha ha, but seriously, make these - you won't regret it.

 
Mom's Chocolate Chunk Cookies
slightly revised by me

1 c. vegan butter
1 c. palm sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 egg
1 1/2 c. old fashioned oats
1 1/2c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 bag of your favourite chocolate [approx. 1 1/2 c.]*

Preheat your oven to 375* and in a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugar. Once light white and fluffy, add in the egg and vanilla and continue to beat until well incorporated. Stir in dry ingredients, then chocolate. Spoon onto parchment or silpat lined pans with cookie scoop [about 1 rounded tbsp], and pop into the oven! My lighter baking pans took 9 minutes to bake the cookies perfectly, and the darker pans were 8 minutes, so gauge your baking time accordingly. Let cool for a couple of minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

*I used tiny little peanut butter cups for the chocolate both Sunday, and today, when I baked these bad boys and let me tell you Oh. My. Chocolaty. Heaven. Try it. You'll eat more cookies than you mean to. Or don't try it. Either way, this was a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)