Friday 17 February 2012

Fruit and Nut Heaven

Do you like fruit and nut chocolate bars? My Amazing Husband loves them, and so by association I've come to appreciate the slightly salty, ever so creamy, tart and chewiness bar myself. The only problem is, now that I have decided to not consume milk products [for my reasons why, check out this post] I am on the outs with the good ol' fruit and nut bar. Being the innovative woman that I am, I decided to try my hand at making my own version, a healthier version of course, and see what my hardest critique [aka my Awesome Hubby] had to say. He tried theses for the first time while I was at the park with the boys, so I didn't get his first reaction to them, but I heard a loud, "THESE CHOCOLATE BARS ARE AMAZING!" when I entered the door. I think they passed the test haha! If you'd like to make a batch for your own sweeties,or for yourself and not to share with anyone it's simple, fast, and will tempt you to make them everyday, so slice the bars small, freeze them, and try to make them last as long as possible...or keep them in the fridge in an airtight container - and they'll be gone before you know it!



Organically Awesome Fruit and Nut Bars
an original recipe created by me!

1/2 c. natural almond butter
1/2c. natural peanut butter
2/3c. naturally creamed honey
1/2c. coconut oil
1c. chopped 72% dark chocolate
1c. rolled oats
1/3c. shelled pistachios
2/3c. raw whole almonds
1/3c. hemp hearts
1/2c. craisins

Combine ingredients from the oats on down to the hemp hearts in a large bowl, and set aside. In a heavy bottom saucepan, combine the first five ingredients and heat on medium low heat, stirring constantly. Once all the ingredients are completely melted, pour over the oat mixture in the bowl, and use a spatula to thoroughly combine. Prepare a 9x13 pan by lining with parchment paper, folding so the paper covers the sides of the pan as well. Turn the mix into the pan, and spread evenly with the spatula. Give the pan a couple of taps on the counter to let all air bubble escape and let ingredients settle, then place in fridge to set for at least two hours before cutting into bars. Yields 25 good sized bars, or 50 bite sized.

Feel free to play around with the nuts or fruit involved to satisfy your sweet craving!

What treat do you want recreated? I'm always up for a new challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)