Tuesday 31 May 2011

{running} mental space

About a week ago, a friend of mine and I were talking about happiness. This friend had been sick, so sick that she wasn't able to run for a few weeks - a major part of her active lifestyle. It wasn't until she was sick that she realized how much her health, and her ability to run, contributed to her overall life satisfaction and happiness. As we talked about this, she brought up a quote she'd heard recently as she contemplated her situation, and in her present mind frame it really struck a chord. An avid runner was asked why she runs, and her answer in its simplicity, encapsulated how my friend was feeling, and how I often feel as well:

"I run because I can"

As I was running my half marathon on Saturday, this statement ran through my head so often it has now become one of my favorite mantras. When my legs became tired this statement reminded me of my good fortune in not only having legs, but having the health to run. With a friend having recently passed away from cancer, and one of my  Grandpa's having both legs amputated, I am well aware of the situations that can literally rip the running shoes out from under you. Next time you're tempted to skip a run, think of this mantra and your runners will soon be laced up and ready to carry you through the miles.


What's holding you back?


Do you have a mantra you repeat on your long runs?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)