Tuesday 31 January 2012

Morning Glory

Around our home, there is one request that I receive more than," can you make some cookies today?" As we snuggle in bed, I ask Darius what he'd like for breakfast, and almost every morning his reply is,"um, how bout some pancakes?" Said so sweetly, and with such a hopeful smile, I have a hard time refusing the request. And so, more often than not, I make pancakes, and everyone is happy - including me because I know these pancakes are healthy for my little men! I shun away from packaged goods, and that includes when it comes to making breakfast for my kiddos. Which is the reason why I developed a pancake recipe that incorporates vegetables, natural plant proteins, and health fats. Make a batch of these for your family, and you can relax when they ask for a little syrup [as long as it's 100% pure maple syrup that is.]



Pumpkin Pancakes
an original recipe created by me!

 2 c. almond milk
1/2 c. water
1 c. pure pumpkin puree
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp. vinegar
2 c. stone ground whole wheat flour
1 c. raw frozen cashews [not salted]
1/4 c. chia seeds
1/4 c. hemp hearts
3 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. salt

Heat your pancake grill to 300*F. Put the cashews in a blender, and blend until a fine powder [having the cashews frozen ensures that they turn into a powder when blended, instead of turning into cashew butter.] Next, in a stand mixer, add all the ingredients, including the ground cashews, and blend together. Remember to use a spatula to clear off the sides of the bowl a few times while blending. Once all the ingredients are nicely blended, use a 1/4c. measuring cup and scoop batter onto the hot pancake grill. Make your pancakes nice and round, and remember to flatten them with the back of your spatula when you flip them so that they are not too thick [this will ensure that they cook all the way through.] Watch your pancakes so you know when to flip them, but I find that 3-5 minutes is the magic number per side. Yield approximately 18 pancakes

Once your pancakes are off the grill enjoy them with 100% maple syrup as my little Darius does, or with cut up fresh fruit on them as I do [I also love them with natural peanut butter spread on top of them!] If you have left overs [as we do every time I make them] freeze them for a quick toaster breakfast in mornings to come!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)