Friday 1 February 2013

Triple Chocolate Quinoa Muffins

Anytime there is loads of chocolate in a recipe I am generally going to be happy with it. Frankly, I was raised by a mother who taught me the basics of baking as 1) always use the finest quality chocolate you can afford; and 2) when in doubt, add more chocolate. So, you see this recipe, with it's legitimate claim to 'triple chocolate' has secured itself in my "I'll bake you till my Hottie husband begs me to stop" repertoire. These are rich, decadent, velvety, and perfect - oh, and high in protein and gluten and dairy free. Yeah, I've got your attention now don't I haha. I have high hopes of spoiling my sweetie pies, big and small, with these delightful chocolaty goodies on Valentine's Day, so I thought I'd share the recipe in time for you to do the same. Enjoy!





Triple Chocolate Quinoa Muffins
an original recipe created by me!

1 3/4 c. cooked quinoa, packed
3 eggs
3/4 c. unsweetened pure cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c. plain coconut yogurt [made from coconut milk, not simply dairy yogurt that has been flavored with coconut]
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp cinnamon 
1/4 c water [optional, I just found everything blended a bit better with it]
1 c palm sugar
1/2 c chopped dark chocolate, finest quality you can afford

Preheat oven to 350*. Prepare muffin tins with either liners or non stick spray. I prefer liners to spray on this one. Add all the wet ingredients and quinoa to a blender and combine until smooth. Pour out into a bowl and mix the remaining ingredients, aside from the chopped chocolate, and mix with a whisk or fork until all clumps are gone and batter is of an even consistency. Mix in half the chocolate, and pour into prepared muffin tins.
Place muffins in oven for 10 minutes. At 10 minute mark, divide the remaining chocolate between the muffins, sprinkling generously on top of each muffin. Place the muffins back in the oven, and bake for approximately 8 more minutes. Toothpick will come out dirty still, but should not be wet.  Let muffins cool completely on wire rack before removing from muffin tins. 

Yield: approximately 2 dozen


2 comments:

  1. Katie! I made these last night and ate them for dinner! so yummy, thanks for sharing your recipe. I had to substitute the palm sugar for dates because I didn't want to run to the store, but it seemed to work, and they were nice and moist. threw in some walnuts for fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked them Nita! Adding dates and walnuts is a fabulous idea - upping the ante on nutrients is always a good move in my books!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)