Thursday 22 September 2011

Summer Stew

On long car rides we sing songs. Top of our lungs, way off key, and full of joy! One of these songs is "Purple Stew." I was shocked to find out that this song is not in everyones repertoires, so if you are unfamiliar with it please YouTube it - it's entertaining and really easy to memorize. Anyways, I decided to try my hand at making a real purple stew, thinking Sweet Darius would think it was funny. He didn't. In fact he was afraid to even try it. Fail. However, everyone else tried it, loved it, and ate it all up. The idea comes from my Mother In Law, which in and of itself should tell you its worth trying. Ready?





 Purple Summer Stew


Ingredients


lots of garden fresh veggies (I used potatoes, carrots, green beans, onions, and zucchini)
black bean flour
water
salt and pepper to taste


Chop all the vegetables into chunks. Place in a stock pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Let cook on a low boil for about twenty minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Shake black bean flour and water in a shaker cup until blended, then add to pot. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.


Even if the picture doesn't entice you (I admit, it doesn't look as appealing in photo) give this stew a chance - it is completely delicious and absolutely nutritious!    

Have you ever been inspired to try something based on a song or story? I often find myself thinking through a recipe based on children's songs...maybe it's all the children's songs I sing ha!

1 comment:

  1. have you read the stone soup book with your kids? i think i love soup in part because of that book. we actually made it in school when i was in elementary.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)