Wednesday 18 May 2011

ABS-olutely FABULOUS!

After a family post, and a post about awesome deals, the work outs continue!


If you have been in a supermarket recently, you've already noticed the summer season hot topic being flaunted on the covers of oodles of magazines - ABS. And the question on many a mind is: how can I get me some six pack?!?! Well, if you're an Oxygen magazine girl like me (seriously, subscribe for a year, and you'll save a bundle!) then you know its not just about crunches...in fact, crunches are great, but no matter how many crunches you do, if you have a layer of fat covering those bad boys, your abs just aren't going to be on display. Even for us Mamas, you know the sweat pants and ponytail sporting sort, have a shredded midsection can be a source of gratification, and the sign of a strong and healthy heart. So, here's my tips for your ABS-solutely fabulous summer!


1) EAT CLEAN!!! I don't know how many times I can say it, but seriously, clean eating (i.e. no preservatives, sugar, or bad fats; and six small meals of fresh produce, lean meats, whole grains, and healthy fats) is the only dietary way to shed fat, and improve your health. Try it out! Here are a few books and cookbooks to help you along:


































That last one is a suggested Father's Day (June 19th) gift! If you are wanting to eat clean, the easiest (and best for everyone!) way to do that, is to make it a family affair. Think about it, if sugar is toxic to your body, wouldn't it also be toxic for your child?

2)  While clean eating will shed fat, think of cardio as your metabolism booster. For the best cardio benefits, and the greatest short term gains, rely on interval sessions. Begin with thirty seconds fast, two minutes slow, and increase it each week until you are doing one minute fast and thirty seconds slow. Going at your 'fast' pace for more than ninety seconds generally means you're not going fast enough. And of course, I'm a firm believer that running is the king of cardio, so give it a shot!

3) Last of all, throw in some ab exercises to target those muscles, and develop the hardened definition you're admiring on all those magazine racks. Check out this routine in Oxygen magazine and give it a go three times a week.

Today's ab thoughts are brought to you by a three mile run - my me time brainstorming! It took me three tries with Eli's naps being uber short, but it felt great, and I pushed myself hard since time was ticking and I didn't know when I'd run out.  I love my runs!

What is your favorite body part? Are you going to give your abs the loving they need to become your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)