Wednesday 25 May 2011

Countdown

The week before a race is critical to the performance in said race. Racing results, like most things in life, is all about the prep work! So, how do I prepare in my last week?

1) Active Rest: Doing yoga, using the elliptical training, going for a walk, or light weight lifting, replace my almost daily runs. These activities are less taxing on my joints, letting my legs rest up, yet they continue to keep me in shape and mentally focused for the starting line.

2) Hydrate: Drinking water, water and more water. I want my muscles to me as supple as possible, and water plays a critical role in this. Think about two raw steaks - one is fresh and moist, the other is dry. Which one has more stretch? Which one bounces back better?

3)Sleep: A rested body is better able to do just about any task - and that includes run. Why start out a race already exhausted?

4)Nutrition: Eat as clean as possible. The night before the race, eat complex carbs (i.e. quinoa, couscous, brown rice, potatoes, etc) and protein. Don't eat so much that you have a brick in your stomach, or that you have a food hangover the next morning. The key is to play around with food selection the night before long training runs so you have the perfect meal in mind for race day eve.


\

So far this week I've gotten in two yoga sessions (Jillian Michael's Monday, Hot Yoga Tuesday) and an elliptical training session today. I feel great, my body is ready, and I am anxiously awaiting the starting line. With my body all primed and ready to go, I just need to figure out a new babysitter for my boys while I run since my babysitter backed out...any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)