Wednesday 13 April 2011

Mmmmm pumpkin!

Who says pumpkin can only be enjoyed in the fall? Not me! On Monday, as I was blazing through my "to do" list, I took a little break to bake with Darius. While reading blogs and nursing...yes I read while I nurse, sometimes out loud too - muffins caught my eye. These muffins where chocolate chip, but I wanted something with more substance. So, the search continued until I landed on this blog. Ashley's recipe for "Pumpkin Pecan Raisin Muffins" is vegan, something I've never consciously tried, and looked very intriuguing to me. Out came the bowl, whisk, and wooden spoon, and we got to baking!

I modified Ashley's recipe, bringing in more protein, a one bowl method, changing the serving size and a couple other tweaks. Basically I used the original recipe as my jumping off point haha! These muffins don't look like much, but they're so good Darius ate two right off the bat; so grab what you need and give them a whirl.



Pumpkin Raisin Pecan Muffins
(adapted from eat me, delicious)


Makes 41 muffins.

2 cup soy flour
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 cup pureed pumpkin (fresh or from a can; do not use pumpkin pie mix)
1 cup soy milk
1 cup applesauce
2 tbsp molasses
2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup golden raisins

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a 12 muffin tin with muffin liners.

 In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, soy milk, applesauce and molasses. Then add  flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices to the mix, and stir all together. Now fold in raisins and pecans.
Use a scoop and fill the tins roughly half way. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let cool on wire rack, then enjoy!


If you haven't discovered this tool, I use the recipe calculator on this site to determine the nutritional content of my recipes.



Nutrition Facts
 Per Muffin
Amount Per Serving
  Calories101.9
  Total Fat4.5 g
     Saturated Fat0.4 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat1.3 g
     Monounsaturated Fat2.4 g
  Cholesterol0.0 mg
  Sodium92.6 mg
  Potassium226.2 mg
  Total Carbohydrate15.0 g
     Dietary Fiber2.5 g
     Sugars8.7 g
  Protein3.8 g

  Vitamin A38.1 %
  Vitamin B-121.2 %
  Vitamin B-63.3 %
  Vitamin C1.7 %
  Vitamin D0.2 %
  Vitamin E2.0 %
  Calcium7.2 %
  Copper16.0 %
  Folate4.7 %
  Iron6.5 %
  Magnesium7.2 %
  Manganese24.9 %
  Niacin1.5 %
  Pantothenic Acid    2.3 %
  Phosphorus    7.6 %
  Riboflavin1.9 %
  Selenium1.2 %
  Thiamin5.7 %
  Zinc3.0 %





*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)